We've all seen it....the rock thrown into the pond and the ripples that are produced. This week's study of the Proverbs 31 woman brought that image vividly to my mind.
Last week's lessons focused on virtuous attributes (vs 10-11). Verses 13 & 14 starts the action process as the list of chores begins, namely laundry and cooking, neither of which are my favorite things to do. But it is verse 12 that brings the attributes and the actions together.
"She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life" (Prov 31:12 ESV).
The lesson had us compare this verse to 1 Kings 11:4 "For when Solomon was old his wives turned away his heart after other gods and his heart was not wholly true to the Lord his God as was the heart of David his father." Wow....that is quite the contrast. It speaks volumes to the influence of a wife on her husband. For me to do good to Jerry means that I must be a good influence, a godly influence. I do that by staying close to God and continually seeking Him in all areas of my own life and relationship with Him. The two best ways that I know how to do that is by reading His word daily and praying daily. The more connected I stay to God, the more of His goodness I see. It is His goodness that will work in me and flow from me. It is His goodness that will allow me to be a good influence for Jerry. My influence cannot include nagging, cajoling, or manipulating because those things bring harm and are not in line with my God-given purpose as a wife and helper. I never want to be the cause for turning my husband's heart away from God. I love them both so much!
Because of this love for God and for Jerry, I have some laundry to do today. I might even do a little cooking. The results may not be excellent but that's okay....my family is used to that. What's more important is that my attitude be excellent as I willingly and eagerly go about these chores. SPLASH!!
Last week's lessons focused on virtuous attributes (vs 10-11). Verses 13 & 14 starts the action process as the list of chores begins, namely laundry and cooking, neither of which are my favorite things to do. But it is verse 12 that brings the attributes and the actions together.
"She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life" (Prov 31:12 ESV).
The lesson had us compare this verse to 1 Kings 11:4 "For when Solomon was old his wives turned away his heart after other gods and his heart was not wholly true to the Lord his God as was the heart of David his father." Wow....that is quite the contrast. It speaks volumes to the influence of a wife on her husband. For me to do good to Jerry means that I must be a good influence, a godly influence. I do that by staying close to God and continually seeking Him in all areas of my own life and relationship with Him. The two best ways that I know how to do that is by reading His word daily and praying daily. The more connected I stay to God, the more of His goodness I see. It is His goodness that will work in me and flow from me. It is His goodness that will allow me to be a good influence for Jerry. My influence cannot include nagging, cajoling, or manipulating because those things bring harm and are not in line with my God-given purpose as a wife and helper. I never want to be the cause for turning my husband's heart away from God. I love them both so much!
Because of this love for God and for Jerry, I have some laundry to do today. I might even do a little cooking. The results may not be excellent but that's okay....my family is used to that. What's more important is that my attitude be excellent as I willingly and eagerly go about these chores. SPLASH!!
No comments:
Post a Comment