She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Proverbs 31:27
Such a good and valuable verse to memorize. For the longest time I took this verse to mean that I need
to be busy at home, keeping it clean, organized, etc. Don't get me wrong, I whole-heartedly believe that this verse can and should be applied in such a way. Having a nice, clean, home is one way I can be a blessing to my family. Floors need to be vacuumed and mopped, dishes need to be cleaned and put away, toilets need to be scrubbed, and shelves need to be dusted. As much as I wished that the house-cleaning fairy would show up in the middle of the night, she never did and I sure could have used her while raising three boys.
Especially because I did my share of eating from the idleness loaf. But my idleness at home most often meant that my time and energy was spent outside of the home: pta meetings, board meetings, work, volunteering at the school library or in the classroom, going back to college. Then there were church ministries and activities: president of women's missionary fellowship, middle school youth on Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings, Bible study, preparing meals for visitors, organizing couples events. As you can see, idleness really isn't my problem. I think that's the case for most women; we are busy, we are involved, we are accomplishing things. But at what expense? For me, it meant doing just the basics of housework and taking shortcuts whenever I could. My home was always at the bottom of my list. That has changed over the years. Perhaps I've gained some wisdom. My choices for outside activities are made with much more prayerful consideration. I've learned to say no. The messes aren't as many now that I don't have little ones around 24/7 so I can spend more time puttering around the house.
However, this past week has shown me that this verse (along with the others used*) also applies to those inside of my household. I need to be looking well to their ways. I need to be aware of what is going on in the life of my husband, children, and grandchildren. Not only do I need to be aware, but I need to helpful to them about it. A lovely, clean, organized home is of little value if those in it are being overlooked. It is better to overlook the stack of dishes in the sink if it means taking time to hear about Jerry's stressful day. It is better to forgo scrubbing the toilet if it means having a precious one-on-one talk with one of my kids. The household chores will always be there. I need to make sure that the moments I have to be a positive, Christ-like example to and for my family don't pass by unnoticed. It's the people in my home who are the precious treasures, not my knickknacks and doodads.
I guess this week could be summed up with one word: priorities! Mine tend to get out of sync sometimes. I'm so grateful for the reminder that this beautiful Proverbs 31 woman brought to me this week.
*here are some of the other verses used in this week's study:
Proverbs 14:1, Prov 9:1-2, Prov 6:6-11, Prov 24:3-4, Prov 12:24, Prov 19:15, and Prov 20:4
Such a good and valuable verse to memorize. For the longest time I took this verse to mean that I need
to be busy at home, keeping it clean, organized, etc. Don't get me wrong, I whole-heartedly believe that this verse can and should be applied in such a way. Having a nice, clean, home is one way I can be a blessing to my family. Floors need to be vacuumed and mopped, dishes need to be cleaned and put away, toilets need to be scrubbed, and shelves need to be dusted. As much as I wished that the house-cleaning fairy would show up in the middle of the night, she never did and I sure could have used her while raising three boys.
Especially because I did my share of eating from the idleness loaf. But my idleness at home most often meant that my time and energy was spent outside of the home: pta meetings, board meetings, work, volunteering at the school library or in the classroom, going back to college. Then there were church ministries and activities: president of women's missionary fellowship, middle school youth on Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings, Bible study, preparing meals for visitors, organizing couples events. As you can see, idleness really isn't my problem. I think that's the case for most women; we are busy, we are involved, we are accomplishing things. But at what expense? For me, it meant doing just the basics of housework and taking shortcuts whenever I could. My home was always at the bottom of my list. That has changed over the years. Perhaps I've gained some wisdom. My choices for outside activities are made with much more prayerful consideration. I've learned to say no. The messes aren't as many now that I don't have little ones around 24/7 so I can spend more time puttering around the house.
However, this past week has shown me that this verse (along with the others used*) also applies to those inside of my household. I need to be looking well to their ways. I need to be aware of what is going on in the life of my husband, children, and grandchildren. Not only do I need to be aware, but I need to helpful to them about it. A lovely, clean, organized home is of little value if those in it are being overlooked. It is better to overlook the stack of dishes in the sink if it means taking time to hear about Jerry's stressful day. It is better to forgo scrubbing the toilet if it means having a precious one-on-one talk with one of my kids. The household chores will always be there. I need to make sure that the moments I have to be a positive, Christ-like example to and for my family don't pass by unnoticed. It's the people in my home who are the precious treasures, not my knickknacks and doodads.
I guess this week could be summed up with one word: priorities! Mine tend to get out of sync sometimes. I'm so grateful for the reminder that this beautiful Proverbs 31 woman brought to me this week.
*here are some of the other verses used in this week's study:
Proverbs 14:1, Prov 9:1-2, Prov 6:6-11, Prov 24:3-4, Prov 12:24, Prov 19:15, and Prov 20:4
No comments:
Post a Comment