Saturday, May 19, 2012

Mothers & Sons - Prov 31:1-9

This week I joined an online Bible study through facebook.  We are learning about the Proverbs 31 woman.  I hope to use this blog to summarize each week's teachings and share what I've learned.  And boy, have I learned a lot.  

This first week was interesting because we didn't start at Proverbs 31:10 like I expected.  We started at verse one; what a novel idea to start at the beginning.  The study method is simple:  write down the verses for the day (usually only two), record your observations about the verses, write out applications for the verses, and pray (sometimes I wrote the prayer out).  Simple, but oh so full of impact!

Many times the relationship between mother/daughter and father/son is the emphasis in parenting.  Churches have mother/daughter lunches in May and father/son picnics in June.  Books are written about the influence that fathers have on their boys and that mothers have on their girls.  As a mother of three sons, I don't fit these categories and have often been left with the feeling that my parental influence is minimal.  I have even said to my husband, "I can't teach the boys (fill in the blank) because I'm not the dad, you are."  Talk about letting myself off the hook....yikes!  Sadly though, I can probably find plenty of people who would agree with me, and many of those people would be Christians.  I'm not saying that I want to usurp the authority of my husband or take on the role of spiritual leader in my home.  I do understand the importance of gender in raising children.  

What I am saying is that I have been greatly encouraged by King Lemuel's mother.  She acknowledged the blessing of being a mother to a son (thank you Tammy for that insight!).  She taught him about personal purity, integrity, self-control, leadership, compassion for others, and justice.  She not only taught him these things but she did it in a way that he remembered.  She maximized her opportunities in teaching her son and she took the responsibility seriously.  Her influence in his life is evident.  How do I know?  God saw fit to preserve and record it in Scripture. 

My hope is that I have been an influence in the lives of my sons.  Oh I know I made my fair share of mistakes while raising my three boys.  I wouldn't mind a few do-overs (maybe Staples can make a button for that).  Even though my boys are adults now, I pray that God will continue to give me opportunities to be an influence in their lives.  I will always be their mother so I will always have this wonderful, awesome responsibility.  I want to make the most of it.  I pray that God will also use me to encourage other mothers who are raising boys.     

I told you I learned a lot this week.  I can't wait for next!! 

1 comment:

  1. Cheryl, I really felt odd at our church's Mother/Daughter banquet last Sat., even though I was the speaker. I absolutely love that this & other Scriptural passages show the impact mothers can have on their sons. Like you, I expected to start at verse 10, as every other study of this chapter seems to do. What a blessing this beginning has been. I love being able to connect with you in this way, as well!

    ReplyDelete