Wednesday, March 9, 2011

God is Good

So I was all ready to sit down this morning and write about a particular struggle going on in my life.
Actually, it's been going on for awhile and I've never really been able to figure out why I haven't gotten
a handle on it.  Yes every time I started to write, it just wasn't what I wanted to say.  I couldn't get the words
to express the thoughts I wanted to share.  And then it hit me.....crash, bam...like a bolt of lightening!  I was leaving God out of the picture.  I needed to turn to Him first and get my priorities back in line.  So I left
my computer, picked up my Bible, my devotion book, and my reading glasses (a true necessity), and spent some quiet time with my Lord. 

I began reading about trusting God and trusting His word.  And if I was going to trust God, especially during a struggle, I needed to learn more about Him.  I learned that He will and does deliver His children from all, not just some, but ALL their afflictions (Ps 34:19 & Ps 72:12).  I learned that He is with me wherever I go (Josh 1:9), and that His grace is sufficient for all my needs (2 Cor 12:9). 

But another verse jumped out at me. 
Psalm 119:71 - It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes. 

Hmmm....God says afflictions are good.  Really?  Good?  Yes!....good!  God even goes on to say why it's good for troubles to come....so I can learn His statutes...His law....His way!  And is there any better way than God's way?  And the answer is.......a resounding no!  God's way is always best.  I may not understand it at times.  But then I don't have to understand.  I am to walk by faith, not by sight.  I am to trust that God's ways are not my ways and that His thoughts are higher than my thoughts (Is 55:8-9).  I am to trust that He knows the beginning from the end and that all things will work together for the good to them that love God who are called, according to His purpose (Rom 8:28).  And there's that word good.....again. 

Now here's the amazing part of my day.  After I get done with my devotions and study, I stand up and immediately the phone rings.  It's someone from church telling me that there is a lady who is interested in Bible study.  I get her name, number, and a little background info.  Apparently, she is going through a trial.  So I pray first and then I give her a call.  She is a lovely woman but boy is she going through a trial.  She opens her heart and pours it out to me.  She has so many questions about why this is happening, what did she do wrong, how will she deal with it.  She is steadfast about her love for the Lord, but this is shaking her to the core and she needs help.  And here comes the amazing part.....I have the words to share with her.  Not my words, but God's words.  The very words I was just studying.  The very words that God used to speak to my heart, He was putting into my mouth to help her.  I shared with her the verses I listed above and a few others.  We talked about how God is in control of everything and that He always has a plan and a purpose for what happens in our life.  I kind of think God used this sweet lady to teach me as well.

I truly believe that if I had spent time this morning lamenting over my own struggles and living it up at my own pity party,  I would have missed out on some truly amazing blessings today.  God challenged me today to always keep my eyes on Him....first and foremost.  Only good will come when I do....and there's that word....good....again....Yes, my God is so good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment