Monday, March 7, 2011

God Restores

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.  Romans 8:28

The above verse is so true.  I have had the amazing privilege to see this verse in real live working action over the last year as God has taken tragedy and used it for good as He has restored and healed my husband's family. 

Let me set the stage.  I will take you back to April 28, 2010.  My husband's family is estranged, to say the least.  For well over 10 years there has been some kind of turmoil going on in this family.  I won't go into all the details because that really isn't the point.  The point is that relationships were severely broken and there were some very deep wounds.  And though many in the family were praying for healing, I believe that we were becoming reconciled to the fact that this was just the way the family was going to remain.  Birthdays, holidays, weddings, and anniversaries all came and went with little to no contact.  And when there was some form of communication, often it would lead to more hurt, which led to more seperation and division in the family.   My husband and I took on the attitude that we would just live our own lives.  Having a fragmented family was the "norm" and we made the best with the little bit of family that God had given us.  Little did we know that God wanted to give us everyone! 

So life on April 28, 2010, was fairly routine, nothing out of the ordinary.  Then the phone call came in the early morning hours of April 29, 2010.  My sister-in-law's (Char) husband (Jim) had been murdered in his home.  It was a horrible act of evil hurled upon this family.  But God's goodness and grace took over.  Over the days that followed, the entire family gathered together.  Restoration was taking place.  There was no need to rehash old arguements or open old wounds.  All the hurt and pain of the last decade fell away. Forgiveness was asked for in our tears and given in our hugs.  Priorities were put into perspective as we all looked to God for the comfort and strength that was so desperately needed. 

One amazing thing I learned during this time was how God had been working in the lives and hearts of this family during our time of division.  Jim and Char were strong Christians, active in their church and leading a Bible study in their home every week.  My husband's parents were part of the Bible study and loved learning more about God's Word.  Other family members who were Christians were regularly praying for the family.  My own relationship with God grew over the years as I desired to be more Christ-like in every area of my life.  So even though we may have spent some time divided, God kept us united through His love and His leading. 

So today is March 8, 2011.  Not quite a year has passed.  We just came home from a wonderful weekend in Washington with the family.  We celebrated the arrivals of four new babies born into the family over the last few months.  We celebrated as a family, restored and united.  I spent a lot of time yesterday looking at this family God has given back to us.  I am more grateful than words can ever express.  I am grateful that God never gives up on those who love Him.  I am grateful that God is patient.  I am grateful that God's plan is always best. God took one terrible, horrific night and used it to put His plan of restoration into motion.  He has turned tragedy into triumph and has worked this all out for good....His good.....He is Good!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment